Developer revises plans for controversial Lakes at Jones Creek subdivision
The developer of the Lakes at Jones Creek, a planned subdivision that has become a flashpoint for the debate over flood risk in Baton Rouge, has submitted revised plans that he says should assuage drainage concerns.
The Planning Commission on Monday, Dec. 18, will decide whether to allow the project to move forward.
The new plans don’t remove any of the 425 planned lots. Instead, Steve Duplechain, the subdivision’s developer, says he has deepened and re-engineered detention ponds. The Metro Council earlier this year passed stricter requirements for the amount of stormwater new developments can handle, a rule that goes into effect in the spring. Duplechain says the updated plans far exceed that standard.
“That did not result in a reduction in the number of lots. We were able to engineer around that,” Duplechain says. “But we have substantially increased our ability to handle rainwater.”