• Baton Rouge General's Mid City campus has opened the Capital Region's first seniors emergency room, specially designed and designated for patients 65 and older.
• Elton and Randee Hyndman, the owners of Nino's Italian Restaurant, have taken over Oscar's Gourmet Pizza Joint on Perkins Road.
• ImmediaCare, a medical services organization which makes house calls and work calls, has signed East Baton Rouge Redevelopment Authority as a corporate client.
• La Capitol Federal Credit Union has opened a new branch at 2012 O'Neal Ln. The location includes drive-thru lanes and a 24-hour, walk-up ATM.
• Phelps Dunbar has opened an office in Raleigh, N.C., the law firm's ninth location in the South and 10th in the country.
• Rockit Science Agency has been commissioned by the U.S. Navy to work on the rebranding of SEA 21, which is responsible for near-term material readiness challenges and long-term life cycle management efforts.
• Roofing Solutions of Prairieville has acquired architectural panel and pre-engineered metal building specialist E.R. Barnes of Mandeville.
• The Louisiana Center for Computation & Technology celebrated its 10th anniversary on Oct. 26, highlighting its recent and future activities and collaborations as a vibrant facility for interdisciplinary computational research, training and economic development.
• The Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors has renamed its building in honor of Statie Preston Eggers Jr., who in 1950 became the managing director of the Louisiana Highway, Heavy, Utility Branch of the Associated General Contractors of America and also served as the executive director of the Louisiana Associated General Contractors until his retirement in 1990.
• Which Wich Superior Sandwiches has opened its first Baton Rouge location, at 6725 Siegen Ln. Guy Harper is the local franchisee.
• Bruce Attinger, a joint venture partner of Outback Steakhouse in Baton Rouge, has been elected to the at-large position on the Louisiana Restaurant Association's board of directors.
• Jeffery J. King has become a member of Northwestern Mutual's 2011 Forum group. The membership recognizes an outstanding year of helping clients achieve financial security.
• Katrice Albert, LSU vice provost for Equity, Diversity & Community Outreach and adjunct faculty for counseling education in the College of Education, has been named to the Volunteers of America's national board of directors.
• Lemar Marshall, chief operating officer for North Oaks Obstetrics and Gynecology in Hammond, has been named to the Louisiana Health Care Quality Forum's board of directors.
• Jay Tusa, executive director of the River Parishes Tourist Commission, has been named to the Southeast Tourism Society's board of directors.
• The Louisiana Bankers Education Council has elected members of its executive council. They are: Jennifer Boggs, Gulf Coast Bank (Baton Rouge), president; Joey Danos, Community First Bank (New Iberia), immediate past president; Monty Adams Jr., Caldwell Bank (Columbia), president-elect; Ryan Thomas, Citizens National Bank (Bossier City), secretary-treasurer; Jake Guidry, St. Martin Bank (St. Martinville), education chairman; Brian Abshire, First National Bank of Louisiana (Lake Charles), at large; John Boydstun, Regions Bank (Baton Rouge), at large; Adam Johnston, First Guaranty Bank (Oil City), at large; Brooks Lewis, Citizens Bank (Plaquemine), at large; and Drew Pierson, First Federal Bank (Lake Charles), at large.
• Breazeale, Sachse & Wilson has been selected by Fortune magazine and Martindale-Hubbell as one the Top Ranked Law Firms in the nation. The ranking recognizes firms for having at least one-third of their attorneys achieve the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating.
• Butler, Snow, O'Mara, Stevens & Cannada has been selected by Fortune magazine and Martindale-Hubbell as one the Top Ranked Law Firms in the nation. The ranking recognizes firms for having at least one-third of their attorneys achieve the Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating.
• Coffee News, represented in Baton Rouge by owner/publisher Tim Bergstresser, has been ranked No. 17 in Entrepreneur magazine's list of the top 100 low-cost franchises.
• Ed Holton, the Jones S. Davis Distinguished Professor of Human Resource, Leadership and Organization Development in LSU's School of Human Resource Education and Workforce Development, has received the ING Professor of Excellence Award from the Cox Communications Academic Center for Student-Athletes. The honor recognizes LSU professors who are difference-makers and stewards of excellence.
• Fourteen Phelps Dunbar practice areas are ranked in the U.S. News Media Group-Best Lawyers' list of Best Law Firms for 2011-12 in Baton Rouge. Tier 1 areas are: appellate practice, banking and finance law, commercial litigation, employment law-management, environmental law, franchise law, insurance law, labor law-management, litigation-construction, litigation-labor and employment, professional malpractice law-defendants, real estate law, tax law, and trusts and estates law.
• The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development has received an award from the board of commissioners of the Pontchartrain Levee District. The honor recognizes the agency's funding contribution and commitment to the Cross Bayou pump station in St. Charles Parish.
• Ruth Kennedy, Medicaid deputy director for Bayou Health in the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, has received the Excellence in Children's Health Outreach and Enrollment honor from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. The honor recognizes organizations and individuals for outstanding efforts to identify and enroll eligible children in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program.
• Sixteen McGlinchey Stafford attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America for 2012. They are: Rudy Aguilar, commercial litigation, corporate law and litigation-mergers and acquisitions; Brad J. Axelrod, corporate law; Samuel A. Bacot, real estate law and litigation-real estate; Richard A. Curry, commercial litigation, litigation-environmental; Michael D. Ferachi, commercial litigation and litigation-banking and finance; R. Marshall Grodner, equipment finance law; Deborah Duplechin Harkins, gaming law and government relations law; Mary Terrell Joseph, banking and finance law; Kai D. Midboe, environmental law; Jay M. O'Brien, appellate law; R. Andrew Patty II, copyright law, patent law and trademark law; Anthony Rollo, litigation-banking and finance, and mass tort litigation; Michael H. Rubin, appellate law, bet-the-company litigation, commercial litigation and litigation-banking and finance; John F. Sieberth, patent law and trademark law; Stephen P. Strohschein, bankruptcy and creditor-debtor rights/insolvency and reorganization law, and litigation-bankruptcy; and Dan E. West, commercial litigation and litigation-environmental. Harkins has been named Government Relations Practice Lawyer of the Year in Baton Rouge for 2012, and Patty has been named Patent Law Lawyer of the Year in Baton Rouge for 2012.
• Sonya T. Gordon, public information officer for the East Baton Rouge Parish School System, has received the 2011 Award of Excellence for Public Relations from Women in Media Baton Rouge. The honor recognizes professional women in the fields of media and communication who have excelled within one of 12 nominating categories.
• Advance Innovative Education recently received $50,000 for its project “Redesigning Lessons, Re-envisioning Principals Grant Writing Collaborative.” The project seeks to instill business principles and entrepreneurial spirit in the education leaders of tomorrow.
• The Capital Area Human Services District has been awarded a $1.9 million grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. The grant is part of a national initiative to find the best ways to improve the health status and increase the life expectancy of persons with serious mental illness and substance abuse conditions.
comments powered by Disqus
The state of the GOP
No money necessary
Louisiana politics back in headlines
Google Buys Drone Company Titan Aerospace